Calgary’s Inglewood community has been named Canada’s Greatest Neighbourhood by the Canadian Institute of Planners. Inglewood holds another distinction: nearly 100 years ago, it was home to SAIT’s original campus.
In 1916, the provincial government agreed to fund a technical institute in Calgary, and the municipal government agreed to provide a temporary location in Colonel James Walker School (1921 – 9 Ave. S.E.) and in an adjacent fire and police station.
Extensive renovations were undertaken in the school and in the station, where the lower level was converted into a machine shop. The Provincial Institute of Technology and Art, as SAIT was originally known, officially opened its doors on October 16, 1916, with programs in motor mechanics and metal working — and with 11 students.
By 1922, construction was completed on a permanent home for the school — a three storey red brick and sandstone building on the north hill — and classes were moved there that fall.